But Santa? Santa isn't a lie. Santa is a feeling, or a representation of good. I mean, I love Christmas. I love everything about it. What Santa represents isn't just gifts and celebration, he's a representation of giving. An old man who travels around the world giving toys to all of the girls and boys. My kids will know that most kids in the world don't get gifts at Christmas, in fact most kids in the world don't even celebrate Christmas. People are different, but charity and love, they're always the same.
My kids don't get a lot at Christmas. I don't feel the need to spoil them, and they will grow up knowing that what comes in must equally go out. We will donate used toys to charity, or give them to friends and family who will appreciate them.
But Santa is about more than gifts. He's about imagination!
Would you ever tell your child that pretending they're a super hero is wrong because it's not real? Would you encourage them to be more realistic in their pretend play, or would you encourage them to grow up thinking anything is possible?! Life comes at you so fast as an adult. Most of the time we barely have time to react, so why not hold onto that innocence as long as they can?
Use Santa to teach them about charity, and different religions and regions and cultures! Use Santa to encourage hope and thoughtfulness. The Santa "lie" isn't a lie at all. It's playing pretend. It's happiness and joy and all of the things that make being a child so wonderful. I plan on playing pretend, living in that happy place where christmas lights and advent calendars and elves on shelves make life a bit easier to swallow as long as my kids will let me!

I agree with you to an extent. I love Christmas and all the magic and wonder it brings, but I'm not a fan of using Santa as bribery (for my kids, anyway). I don't tell my kids to be good or Santa won't bring them gifts, but I do allow them to pretend. I want them to know it's pretend. I wrote a whole post about it a few years ago, and I still pretty much feel this way. Take a look if you want: http://www.freshgranolafamily.com/2010/12/case-against-santa-claus.html
ReplyDelete