4.19.2012

Of all the things!


 
Hubs is sick. Not "contagious" sick as I like to point out to my Mommy friends so they don't quarantine me and my children, but just sick. Last week he came home from work and seemed great. He was in a great mood, stopped to pick up a game rental on his way home and even (gasp) brought me home a bottle of wine. (Note: I drank a highly diluted glass of wine with ice in it. I am sure my breastfed baby appreciated the extra sleep!)

By the late evening he wasn't feeling so good. At first I thought he was coming down with the flu because the nausea hit him hard. He then decided to tell me he almost passed out in the game store and then drove home. (Thanks, Dear!)

Because of him being sick with what I thought was the flu, we ended up cancelling our big Easter Party and I was pretty bummed. By the weekend I was sure he had some sort of flu. He kept insisting that isn't what he thought it was. That it was coming from his head and that was making him nauseous and not the other way around. We took him to the doctor and the doctor said it was probably a stomach bug and sent him on his way with some antibiotics and anti-nausea meds.

He just kept saying it wasn't his stomach and he knew it. I urged him to go in again. The pills were making him feel worse not better, so again we went to the same clinic, but this time he saw a different doctor. By this point we were really paying more attention to his symptoms. He was dizzy, off balance and pretty much couldn't get out of bed without feeling totally sick. No fever. No real flu-like symptoms other than the nausea which he insisted was an effect of the dizziness.

My StepMom, Nurse J, thought it might be vertigo, which is something I had suggested. She had him do an exercise she thought could help but it didn't, so we assumed it wasn't that either.

Doctor #2 tested him a bit better and said it was a combination of vertigo (of which there are several types, apparently) and Tinnitis (middle ear issues)... By this point he was starting to improve, days later, but at least he was feeling better.

Now almost a week has past, he is almost totally recovered (albeit still a bit tired) and I just keep thinking what if it was worse? What if it had been something else? Something you can't fix with meds or a diet change? 

We're only in our late twenties, but this type of stuff affects all sorts of people and now that we have a family and a "grown up" life it's hard not to think about the "what if's". I don't know if I could do this without him. I am glad that he will be OK and I hope the "attacks" don't come back or if they do that we can get a handle on them, but I am mostly just SO relieved that in the end it's not anything life threatening.

The bright side is it gave me pause to stop and remind myself that the little things, the bills, the tantrums, the stress of running and managing a household, are all second to the three most important things in my life; My men. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment

As facebook may ask, "What are you thinking right now?"