This came into play when we were trying to "sleep train" Mr.Cash. I consulted every Mommy Group and website I could think of, trying to find the
I'm not saying I spoiled him with snuggles, but, I spoiled him with snuggles.
And there came a time, as there often does, where I couldn't have him in our bed any longer.
That time was named Carter.
A big fat whale of a preggo (me) and Hubs AND Cash in a Queen bed does not a comfortable sleep make. So, what did I do?
I asked my friends of course.
![]() |
| It looks worse than it feels. |
I'd tried crying it out before. It never worked. He'd make himself sick, or deaf, or mute, surely. He screamed his face off and pulled his hair out in handfuls, I couldn't let my poor baby sit trapped in his crib screaming for hours upon hours, could I?
Another friend said "Have you ever heard of a baby crying themselves to death? Whats the worst that could happen? Do you remember crying when you were a baby?"
"Well... no."
So, with the heaviest guilt cloud hanging over me, I put on a smile, did his bedtime routine that we did every night (bath, story, song, bed) said our goodnights, gave him an extra long hug and left him in his crib, shutting the door behind me.
Upon my exit the screaming began. I could visualize his big eyes welling up and spilling over as they only could when he was truly sad or afraid. I saw him wrapping his fingers tightly around his sweet curls and yanking his hair out in fistfuls as he screamed his terrified screams. But, I steadily focused on the task at hand, I sat down in my bed, mere paces from his door and I carefully placed my earbuds in my ears. I put on Hanson, as only their music can soothe me at my worst, and I sat back on my computer and read. I turned it up until his cries were drowned out. Was he crying? I glanced at my husband, on the desktop PC, to see any traces of worry on his face. Nothing.
I kept glancing at the computer screen clock. I tried to focus on the music and the website I was surfing, the minutes went by quickly. Twenty minutes past, I pulled out my earbuds, still crying. With a pang of guilt I replaced my buds and continued browsing. Forty minutes past, I listened again for his crying and nothing...
"When did he stop crying?" I asked.
"I don't know, like ten minutes ago, I guess?"
Holy crud. It worked.
![]() |
| Sleeping like a boss. |
Maybe it's a fluke, I thought. Maybe he's just really tired, or maybe he's playing. But no, it was silence for the rest of the night, well until around 4 AM.
That was the longest he had slept yet.
The next night we did it again. This time he only cried for 20 minutes. Day 3? 15 minutes.
By the end of the first week he was crying for 5-10 minutes maximum.
Yes, he still cries, but he also sleeps. He's a crier. He cries because he's a kid and kids don't like to go to sleep and miss all of the fun, but now he knows. He knows that crying won't make his bedtime change and that Mommy isn't a pushover anymore. So tough cookies!
And you know what? The guilt went away once the sleep came back. Can't argue with that!
-----
Did you try the cry it out method with your little one?
What parenting philosophy do you find works best for you?


We used this method as well. My little one was 7 weeks old and I fought my husband like a dog over doing it but it worked. The first night it took 2 hours! She didn't cry the whole time but it was on and off for 2 hours and my husband never let her cry for longer than ten minutes. The second night, she didn't really cry at all but it took about an hour for her to fall asleep. The third night took 1/2 hour. By the fifth night, she was asleep within 15 minutes and it's been that way ever since. She generally sleeps 8-10 hours. I know it's not fun, but it works.
ReplyDeleteMy son had a really bad umbilical hernia when he was little so we were always scared any bit of crying would be bad for him. But once it went down. We did the cry it out method. Not only did he sleep longer but he was no longer in our bed. He still cries. Toddler beds don't help he cries at the door. But after five minutes we find him in his bed asleep.
ReplyDeleteOh my drea Christella,
ReplyDeleteI did trhe "cry it out" with both my girls and it worked like a charme. Milana was 3 months old and she would not go to sleep on her own, but once down she would sleep through the night...the first night she cried for 6 hours (on and off falling asleep and waking up and crying). I nursed her twice in that time period and stuck to the plan. The second night she cried 20 minutes and the third night less than 5 minutes. never cried since and she is now 27 months old and sleeps like a rock for 10-12 hours a day.
Tylah was 5 1/2 months old when we did the training. She would always fall asleep on her own but would get up in the middle of the night a couple of times for a feed (sooth). She cried 45 minutes the first night. 20 minutes the second night and never again.
I am so glad I did it and that it worked. As hard as it was, it sure has made my life easier. Good luck to all mamas:-)
I did a sort of modified cry it out thing with my first but found that I just could not with my second. To say that that little man is attached to me is an understatement, that and he was a puker and I just didn't have it in me to let him cry until he puked.
ReplyDeleteThe crying wasn't good for my PPD and PPA and in the long run, both my husband and I agreed that co-sleeping seemed to be the best option for our family. We will continue it until it no longer becomes the best option.
What I find highly entertaining is that my little guy turned me into co-sleeping, babywearing, slightly crunchy mommy . . . completely not what I envisioned!
Jenn