7.31.2012

Thankful Thursday: Early This Week


It's so easy to take for granted all of the things we have in life, even though we work so hard for most of them, so every week I'd like to take a step back and remind myself what little things I should be thankful for. I'd like to invite you to do the same! 

The steps are easy: Write a blog post about one thing you're thankful for every week, include the header above and link back in the linkup below!

Have a suggestion for Thankful Thursdays?

Tweet it to @christella_says or leave a comment below!

-----------------

Thankful Thursday is coming early this week because this afternoon my Mom and my niece were home when their house caught fire. My brother and my Mom's boyfriend were helping my sister move at the time and weren't there. So why would I be thankful for such a horrible tragedy, you ask? Because they're all safe. Even the dog and cats. 

My Mom smelled something weird coming from a battery that was charging in the kitchen and due to the intense smell she thought it would be safe to bring my little 6 month old niece out into the back yard so she could inspect it further. When she turned around and looked back at the house there was smoke everywhere.

Less than an hour and a few fire trucks later and their kitchen and bathroom was completely demolished, the house is covered in smoke and water damage and my Mom saved countless lives. (They also have tenants living on the main floor of the house that my Mom warned in time)

I am thankful today because they are all alive and well. What I'm not Thankful for is that in the process they lost a lot of precious things and only really have the clothes on their backs. So, what does a person do when they see family in need? They jump into action.

I created this facebook page to promote awareness about their situation and hopefully get some clothing and baby item donations. So far the response has been okay but I am hoping that within the next few days we can spread the word and help them get everything they need, even if they can't have all of their things back. 

Although I'm sure that my mom would be happy and grateful for any items she recieves, I also started a Chip In account so that people can donate monetarily if they're not from the area. We're not asking for thousands or even hundreds, a fiver or tenner here or there would help immensely. 

I will be adding the widget to my sidebar for the coming weeks, but it's also dedicated right here in this post as well. Please if you can contribute try. I'd like to help my mom get a few things for the baby (she is the caregiver of my niece) like formula and diapers as well as some important things for herself like undies and toiletries as every woman should have. 

Thank you to my amazing sister for providing safe haven for my Mom during this time and thank you all for your continued support. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

As facebook may ask, "What are you thinking right now?"