Since I've started my new job, we are often promoting the company mantra "Whatever It Takes" to our community. The idea is that we, as sale people and as members of our community, do whatever it takes to make sure people leave our business happy. At the end of the day, sale or no sale, that is what matters.
This got me thinking about a few things, but mostly it made me think about my friends. How many friends do I have who do whatever it takes for our friendship? How many friends do I have who will call me if I get too busy to call them? How many friends do I have who make me do all of the work all of the time? If I don't say hi, hey, what's up in one medium or another, probing the conversation like a stuffed pig, there is no conversation. If I don't call, text, send birthday reminders and invitations to gatherings and just to plain old hang out, none are coming my way.
Although that makes me sad, that I have friends like that, who whether it's because they're "too busy" or too self-obsessed to create time for the indirect people in their lives, it made me think more about the friends that I have who do reserve special time in their lives just for me. Who make an effort, without being poked or prodded, to call, text, IM, invite me out for coffee and play dates and just check in to see how I'm doing.
Friends like that, friends that are supportive, willing to help at a moment's notice, and moreover just people who are invested in the friendship, those friends deserve a hand!
Life gets busy, we all know this. Between work and home and the kids and the messes and the money (or lack thereof), there really isn't that much time or emotional wavelength left for many things, but friendships are worth the effort! I'd rather sit and chat with my buddy, talking about nothingness for three hours over cold coffee than fold cold laundry!
So, I will nourish these friendships I've lucked out with! The other ones, the ones who only write "HBD!" on your facebook wall once a year and don't know what your new address is because they never cared to come see your new place, those ones can eat a sock. I will spend more time with friends who care about me, my kids and my little life and less time with people who can't see past their own nose to realize what a rad person I am.
High fives for all of the great friends out there!
I'm sorry and You're Welcome!
No comments:
Post a Comment
As facebook may ask, "What are you thinking right now?"