8.02.2012

Pleasing Everyone, or Pleasing Myself?



So I just found out that I'm on Bloggers.com today as a Featured Blogger. That's pretty awesome! I hope that all of you new readers take a good look around and hopefully you like what you see! Please introduce yourselves in the comments, as I'd love to meet you! :)
Oh, and it'd be wicked awesome if you Liked my Facebook Page.

For those of you who haven't been here before, I've started this new feature called Reality Check. Last month my family started a journey of a lifetime, participating in the Oprah Winfrey Network show Million Dollar Neighbourhood's second season of shooting. Reality Check chronicles my experiences as we wander through this experience and hopefully we'll make it out the other side! 
You can follow the MDN Family Facebook Page here.

....

We're now half way through our third week in challenge mode. I think the majority of the cast, or as we call them the "MDN Families" have really started to figure out the nature of this beast. We've learned that there are some great positives to this show, but as any other reality TV show, it has its share of drama also. Some real, some manufactured or magnified. 

Hubs and I have spoken a lot about what we think this show is going to do for our family. I think I have more apprehension about it now than when we originally started. I tend to be a positive/optimistic person but can also look at things realistically, especially the more I delve into them. At first I was looking at all of the opportunities this show could bring our way; the marketing potential for my business, the ability to make many new friends in our area in a short amount of time, the possibility of winning a lump sum of money, the once-in-a-lifetime aspect of it. I also saw the potential for negative outcomes, like being depicted as shop-a-holic overspenders and naive "kids" with a young family who don't really think about the value of money, or as the "hipster-esque" family types, new to the 'burbs and trying to fit in. I hope that our friends and family take it all with a grain of salt, however we're portrayed, and I hope that we do attain some of those advantages that the show could bring our way. 

Seeing the forest for the trees.

I had a friend talk to me the other day about my "PR" relating to the show. I'm not a stranger to Public Relations, I work in Marketing, after all... but I haven't really entertained the idea that I need to "shmooze" my way into a potential win on the show. I know that not every person on the show is going to like me, and I know that if the opportunity to be nominated for the 10K or even 100K cash prize comes up it's a long shot that we'll win. I also know that we deserve it, and I have been working really. freaking. hard. I think that it shows and I think that the majority of people on the show recognize that, but at the same time, we're all working hard. 

My friend was afraid that some people aren't in love with me. Maybe they haven't gotten to know me, maybe they think I am abrasive or maybe they've been put off by my "take charge" attitude. I'm not really sure how I feel about that. I mean, I am who I am who I am, ya know? 

Should I try and be more "relatable" to everyone, try and keep the peace and please everybody in hopes of attaining votes should the time arise, or should I keep doing what I'm doing, working hard, being my sometimes-loud-and-push-when-i-need-to-be self and trying to make real friends through the show? Although this show is about a community coming together to try and meet this crazy challenge, at the same time it still follows that same vein of Survivor, or Big Brother, where in order to win you sometimes have to win people over. The friend is right, and super sweet for being concerned, that if my main goal is to win the 10K one week that I have to listen more and talk less, and I am going to work on that, but at the same time, I need to continue being who I am. 

I am a hard working, no-shit taking, peace keeping type of person. I am diplomatic but I'm also not afraid to tell someone when they're being an ass hat. I'm funny (most of the time) and friendly, and hopefully approachable, too. I don't ask for congratulations or recognition for what I'm doing (marketing, mostly) I just do it because I am good at it and hopefully it will help us all meet our goals every week. Maybe I can't be the person that everybody likes. Maybe I can be, I'm not sure. What do you think?



3 comments:

  1. I guess I look at it this way . . . if you are "in it to win it" then you need to look at it as a game and play the role . . . if you are "in it to learn and just be a part of something bigger than yourself" than be yourself and not worry about how you are portrayed.

    I am who I am. I enjoy being behind the scenes and working to help our community.
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why this point bothers me so much, because by nature I am an "in it to win it" type of person, and I've been working very hard, but at the same time, I feel happy no matter who wins. Does that mean I should bother with the "PR" aspect of it, or should I just let the chips fall as they may and hope that my hard work shows through?

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on being featured on Bloggers.com... I love that site... I have come to know a lot of people there.

    ReplyDelete

As facebook may ask, "What are you thinking right now?"