2.27.2012

Those Pesky Things!

We've all had one at some point or another. Just as you get rid of one, another one seems to pop up out of nowhere! Sometimes we get them from our friends, co-workers, partners, boyfriends or husbands -- some people even get them from family members! They can be annoying and persistent. The last thing you want is for someone at work or in your group of friends to find out you've got one or what it is.


Nicknames -- they can be the worst! (What'd you think I was talking about? :P)


I've been thinking a lot about nicknames lately. Where they come from, how they evolve over time. Are they a representation of our personalities? What about when we're given them as young children or babies? Then do they dictate our personalities? It's kind of like chicken vs. the egg. What comes first when you give your children a nickname? The personality trait that seems to mesh perfectly with that nickname, or the nickname itself?

Cash's nickname, since he was only a few months old, has been "Cashy Smashy". Sometimes just Cashy or just Smashy, but generally both together. Thing is -- he is a "Smashy" kid! He can be quite the brute at times, mashing his megablocks together as hard as he can or stomping around the room. I always thought that the nickname came from his mighty personality, but since having Carter I'm starting to wonder.

You see, Carter's nickname, naturally, is "Carter the Farter". (Sorry kid. I'm into rhymes! Maybe it won't stick!) I usually call him that in a sing-song-y voice as I carry him about the house or tickle his toes when he wakes up. I know, it's brutal! But that's what he gets for being named Carter! Now here's my point: Carter IS a Farter. The kid is quiet and observant, but my god is he flatulent! Not stinky ones, usually, but just lots of little sneaky farts throughout the day. It's actually kind of cute. He stretches - he farts. Sleeping? Farting! He pulls his knees up? Farts. He laughs? Farts.

Obviously at not-quite three months old he doesn't know I call him Carter the Farter. So he has to just be a farter. Right?

But what are the chances that my kids personalities would so perfectly mesh with their nicknames? I pretty much went with the most obvious rhyme-able word in both cases and yet, Cash barely ever farts and Carter is too sweet and easy going to smash anything to bits. (Even at three months Cash would yank on things and had a super tight grip. He'd also bat at toys and thought it was hilarious!) So did their nicknames dictate their personalities through osmosis or something? Is it a coincidence? Are my children Geniusesssss?

Who knows. But it is kinda cool, eh?!

What is your kid's nickname? Does it suit their personality?

No comments:

Post a Comment

As facebook may ask, "What are you thinking right now?"