11.12.2013

Be The Change You Want To See!



Remember how I told you guys that I have a problem with blatant ignorance? Oh that was just last week? Well...  newsflash I still do.

You know what no one, not ever, has ever said to me when I wished them a "Merry Christmas" --- No one has ever said "Umm... I don't celebrate Christmas so please don't say that to me. "Happy Holidays" would be more appropriate."

No one has ever said that to me. Not anything like it at all.
Have they said that to you? Really?

... and even if they did, would you be offended? I know that I wouldn't. I'd wish them a Happy Holiday and be on my Merry way! Because I realize that not everyone in the world observes the same holidays and traditions as me. Because I don't think that being considerate of other people's identities, colours or religions is too much to ask.

You know what people have said to me? Do you know what people have posted all over social media?

They've posted this image:



I. Can't. Even.

Gimme a moment here... take it all in.

Okay, you're Christian. Congratulations! I'm honestly incredibly happy for you!
Does that mean everyone else on the planet must also be Christian? No.

If someone wishes you a "Happy Holiday" they're trying to be considerate of the fact that you may not observe the same holidays or faith. They're trying to share a greeting that wishes you well, without pissing you off. What's so bad about that? Last time I checked, Christmas IS a Holiday. So by wishing you a happy holiday, they're saying they hope you have a... (big shocker) Happy Holiday! Whatever your holiday may entail. How incredibly rude of them!!! How DARE they be respectful of your religious freedoms! What jerks!!!

Here's the thing: (and tell me if I'm wrong here, please) People are having an awfully good time these days complaining about how "PC" everyone has gotten. How we can't say or do anything even slightly offensive without someone taking offence to it. (Uh... duh?) The folks that share the type of nonsense above clearly have no idea what it's like to live on the other side. And guess what? Neither do I!

I may not have grown up in the richest home, had tons of family or opportunities, but I was still a white kid in a predominantly white community in one of the richest countries in the world. I had a cell phone before high school and more clothes than I knew what to do with. I still have student debt up to my eyeballs and we're living pay check to pay check, but even I know that when it comes to our little planet, I won the genetic lottery. I count my blessings every day when I swipe my debit card and I don't see a "declined" message pop up, or I decide to stop on my way home and grab dinner instead of cooking, because I actually have the luxury of those things.

Some guy once attributed a quote to Ghandi that he never actually said, but it's a good quote, so I'm going to share it: "Be the change you want to see in the world." 

It's one of my favourite. But it's an effing hard one to live up to! It's hard to be change. It's hard to train yourself to think differently. It's hard to suck it up and keep moving forward sometimes, but you have to. 

When I see people sharing (okay I'm just going to say it) BULLSHIT like the image above, about how the message is "Merry Christmas and not Happy Holidays", that really gets my goat. And my goat is not easy to get, people! If you do anything today, stop and appreciate what you have, and then consider what the hell you're saying and how that affects other people. If you want to say "Merry Christmas" say it, but don't tell other people what to believe or how to share their joy with others. 

If you agree with everything I've said, and you too have seen this image posted on Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest, don't be afraid to speak your mind. Don't be afraid to post my new, happier, healthier message to the masses, because that's how we can all BE the change. Thank you.



xo Christella


PS: Do you notice that racists and bigots never seem to have good graphic design skills? What's up with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

As facebook may ask, "What are you thinking right now?"