7.14.2012

Stuff That Doesn't Suck: iPhone Apps for Kids

Since getting my new phone (sigh. happiness.) I have been exploring the world of Apps. As you've probably heard about a million times, "There's an app for that!" ... Well I'm not sure if there's an app for everything, but there is an app for kids. In fact, there are plenty of apps for kids! Here's a few of the one's I've found so far (for free. 'cause I'm cheap like that!) and what I think of 'em!

And probably what Cashy thinks of them, too!




Here are all of the apps I currently have under "Kid Stuff" on my phone.  


App # 1 - Phone 4 Kids


I think for kids who get the whole "Fake phone" thing, this app takes it a step further. When they just refuse to play with a generic toy phone made for kids, this app comes in handy! It looks and feels (when operating) like a phone, including an SMS and Phone section, and kids feel like they can call Nanny & Papa whenever they want without running up Mommy's phone bill. 

Some cool features for the future could be being able to save numbers of people and when you dial them their pictures come up or something. So the kid isn't actually calling them, but it'd be a good way for them to memorize numbers like "Mommy" or "Daddy" or "Nanny". :)

Overall the useability on this app is good. The design could be better, the graphics are a teensy bit 1995. 



--------------------
App # 2 - Baby Touch & Hear Lite


I was not a huge fan of this app. The way I generally judge that is, if it's hard or boring for me to try, it's probably going to be the same for a little person. Cash got bored of playing with this after about two mintues. 

Needs more animation, maybe some more consistent style of pictures... nicer buttons.

----------------

App # 3 - Little Fox


This app was one of those free app of the day apps and when I saw it I just had to scoop it up! The graphics are a-mazing and even for the free version there are three songs. You have options of karaoke or just singalong, and you can tap almost every part of the picture while the song plays and interact with it. Plus the songs themselves are really well recorded and sweet sounding. 


---------------------

App #4 - Animal Match


This app is again sort of boring, and yes I have the lite version so it doesn't have every version, but I guess what's so exciting about memory games anyway, right? I'm sure one of the issues is that Cash is just too young for it at this point, but we'll have to wait and see.


---------------


App # 5 - Potty Baby


This app, although made with kids in mind, is really for Mommies and Daddies. It's a great little app for  keeping yourself consistent on potty training by setting reminders for yourself to remind the little its time for a sit on the potty. You can keep a record of each thing they do and when, and I'm sure use a reward system along with it. 


Keep track of each Potty, Accident and Nap. Then learn your child's schedule and create reminders to either help teach them when its time to potty, or remind yourself to get them on the potty before an accident happens. 

I probably haven't used this app as much as I should be.... maybe I'll suggest it to our babysitter when the time comes. :/

-----------------

App # 6 - My First Words


This one is by far one of my favourite apps, just because of the fact that even the lite version has a LOT of stuff. They aren't skimping, the app is just so good it makes you want to buy more flashcard groups!

 


My favourite part about this app, beyond just the vast amount of words and feelings there are (feelings is a bonus because that's one of the hardest things to teach your toddler about, but something they definitely need to learn!) you can also totally manipulate all of the cards. You can add your own pictures to existing cards, or create an entire group of folders with custom words and pictures. 

Sorry, Nanny! This is the best pic I've got on my phone of you so far! :(

You can even have you or the kid record themselves saying the word so that the kid can repeat it. Pretty spectacular and customizable

----------------------


App # 7 - French Cards


This app is great for those of us who are intending to teach our kids french, or already have them in french school programs. It uses the word, the sound of the word, and a picture, to help the child remember the words for each thing. It's funny to me because when Cash plays this one, he still repeats the english word for the items when he sees the picture. If I repeat the french word then he will repeat me. 


Another interesting/cool feature on this app is that you can adjust it so instead of just doing french flash cards, it asks a question. It shows 4 pictures and says/spells one word, and you have to select the correct picture based on the word. Pretty good for as the kid gets older, too, right? 



----------------

App # 8 - Fisher Price Baby Animal Sounds


This app is more like a flash card and song book in one. The animations are super cute, the animals are somewhat interactive and it's definitely appealing to a toddler. It's not my go-to-app but it's a great option.


-------------------

App # 9 - Pampers Gifts to Grow

Once again, not a kid app per say, but an app that you use for your kids. 
If you're like me and enjoy collecting diaper points, you should love this easy app from Pampers. 


Simply put in your login info once, and then everytime you have a code handy, input it into your app. It saves the trouble of having to navigate the always-changing website and manually type in a code. 

Although, at the moment you can only do individual codes as far as I know, so maybe in the future they could add a multi-code submission area. 


-------------------

So yeah, those are the apps I've found and liked so far. 

What kind of apps do you have for your smart phone? Do you let your kids play with your phone?


Yeah Mom, I don't know what you're thinking giving this to me.

Disclaimer: I was not paid to endorse any of these products, all opinions stated above are my own. Also, I only let my toddler touch my incredibly expensive smartphone at my own risk and under supervision. If you let your toddler or baby touch your phone and they break it, I'm clearly not responsible for that. If you blame me, you are a putz.



1 comment:

  1. Well, I was not going to allow my baby to play with my phone..tisk, tisk! So...12 months later, these are the apps my baby girl LOVES (so much for "my" plan, huh? LOL):
    Fisher Price Animals
    Fisher Price Let's Count

    I have several others installed however, she is just not interested. I've loaded all of Fisher Price's apps but my 12 month old is just not ready for them. She knows the two she loves and that's all she'll have for now. I also purchased the FP Apptivity case for her, which she is also enjoying.

    I will be adding two of the apps you listed on your review to my baby's repertoire of apps on my phone. Thank you so much for the insight! :)

    ReplyDelete

As facebook may ask, "What are you thinking right now?"