As a parent I am always battling with myself as to what is right and wrong when it comes to parenting. Not everything is as cut and dry as it would seem before you become a parent. Things like staying up late, eating sweets and how often a kid should have a bath are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to "grayscale" parenting notions.
![]() |
| Aunt E-Betty comforting a tantrum-ing Cash at an easter event! |
With two kids under 2, putting them both into a licensed, full-time daycare program would run upwards of $2,000/month. Not to mention I'd still have to pay on statutory holidays and whenever they were sick, even though they would not be provided the service which I pay for on those days. Oh, don't forget on top of that you have to pay a "deposit" and give plenty of advance notice for vacations.
On the other side of the coin, having the kids in an unlicensed home daycare situation meant making a few moves until we found the right situation. In some cases it was conflict of schedules, in some cases it was conflict of interests, but ultimately when we moved to Bowmanville and took part in MDN the choice was easy.
Yvette (or Aunt E-Betty, as the boys call her) has been a ray of ginger sunlight in my life. Not only my children's caregiver, but my confidant and friend. I joke all of the time that she is actually a much better mother to my children than I could ever be. With the patience of Job (Gob?) and a keen ability to communicate with the under-three demographic, she is just so much better equipped to handle the toddler-tantrums and potty-moments than I am.
![]() |
| The lovely ginger that lights up my life, Yvette or "Aunt E-Betty!" |
When Cash was in a FT licensed daycare, each time he bumped his head (as toddlers often do) I'd have to sign an accident report. I felt very overwhelmed every day walking into a different situation, a different teacher, a different accident report, a different experience. I couldn't even imagine how the change over affected him at that age. During that time I thought it was a good thing, that my son wouldn't grow overly attached to another human compared to me. That I wouldn't feel jealous that someone else was mothering my child.
In hindsight, it's a relief to know that I am sending my kids somewhere where they are loved, cared for and seen as individuals.
In the news story above, the day care providers, whether unlicensed or not, were simply not taking the best interest of the children to heart. Although I understand that the shift to a summertime daycare from a before and after school situation can make significant (positive or negative) overall changes to the atmosphere. Whether the daycare providers chose to have that many children there for financial reasons or simply because their day care families couldn't make alternative arrangements doesn't matter, it was up to them to first and foremost provide a safe and comfortable environment for those children.
That being said, the onus isn't only on the people who ran the home daycare, but also on the parents. As a parent I am rarely oblivious to what is happening at Yvette's house. I pay attention to who comes and goes, when new children start and when they terminate their service for whatever reason. Actually, Yvette does a great job of providing us as parents with any news and updates that may affect us.
So yes, the parents of the children at this daycare would have, or most certainly should have realized that this was happening. That there were way too many kids for that household and it could lead to dangerous or unhealthy consequences.
For me, the opportunities at a home daycare, especially the one my children are currently in, far outweigh the convenience or false sense of security I may have by placing them in a licensed day care center. My drop off and pick up times can stretch a bit further, I am able to take a vacation without worrying about covering daycare costs and I am comforted knowing my children are building a lasting relationship with their Aunt E-Betty!
![]() |
| Yvette snapped this pic of Cash at daycare learning to tie his own shoes! Not too shabby! |
Here are some facts about day care (in Ontario) that may or may not surprise you:
- It is not illegal or unlawful to run an at-home licensed daycare as long as there are not more than 5 children in the home being cared for under ten years old. (Not including the day care providers own children)
- In Ontario it is required by law that a day care center hosting more than 5 children under the age of 10 be licensed as either a day care center or a licensed private home daycare.
- The average wage (on the high end) for a licensed daycare worker (this requires an ECE certification) is $16.00/hour in Ontario, most generally make under $13.00/hr.
- The average cost per child (aged 0-2) in a licensed daycare center in Ontario is $45/day PER KID, however in city centers like Toronto, it can run closer to $80/day. That's over $1,700 a month or $20,000 per year!
- The average cost per child (aged 0-2) in an unlicensed home daycare is $30/day PER KID. It can range a bit higher in city centers, but most make accommodations for families with two or more children. (For example, I pay under $60/day for both kids)
- Most daycare centers in Toronto (and most major city centers) often have waiting lists upwards of a year long! That means before you even start trying, your name better be on that list!
- Having your kid(s) in a safe, comfortable unlicensed home daycare is helping a family who is dependent on an income but unable to work for whatever reason. Often mothers who start home daycare's are doing so to stay home with their own children because they can not afford to work a low-wage job and put their child in daycare full time to do so. It's boosting your local economy as well as helping a family build up their income while also saving money! Win-Win!
I'm beyond content with my choice to keep my kids in an unlicensed home daycare, regardless of what the news or media may be trying to say about the state of today's caregiver options. Ultimately when it comes to making this decision, just like any other decision you'll have to make as a parent, you have to weigh your own personal priorities and values to determine your answer.




No comments:
Post a Comment
As facebook may ask, "What are you thinking right now?"